Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing Limited (HKEX) published a set of market statistics for the full year of 2016 on its website today (Monday). The year saw an outstanding performance in Hong Kong’s derivatives market with a number of new records set.
Total turnover of futures reached 84,100,129 contracts, up 14 per cent on the full-year record high of 73,462,212 contracts in 2015. Trading of various options, the open interest of various products and turnover in After-Hours Trading Sessions also rose to new record highs last year.
In the securities market, there were 126 new listings and IPO fundraising reached US$25.1 billion, making Hong Kong the world leader in the latter for the second consecutive year*.
Here are some additional highlights from the securities and derivatives markets:
1. As of 30 December 2016, there were 1,973 listed companies (Main Board: 1,713, GEM: 260), total market capitalisation stood at $24,761.3 billion.
2. Turnover of securitised derivatives (derivative warrants and Callable Bull/Bear Contracts) # was the world’s highest for the 10th consecutive year**.
3. Turnover of Hang Seng Index Futures was 32,313,994 contracts, up 40 per cent from the previous high in 2011.
4. Turnover of USD/CNH Futures reached 538,594 contracts, more than double the previous high in 2015.
5. Turnover of H-shares Index Options was 19,475,726 contracts, up 27 per cent from the previous high in 2015.
6. Turnover in After-Hours Futures Trading was 9,212,328 contracts, up 75 per cent from the previous high in 2015.
7. Open interest of USD/CNH Futures was 45,635 contracts on 30 December 2016# #, up from the previous high of 23,887 contracts on 14 February 2014.
8. Open interest of H-shares Index Options was 3,276,956 contracts on 28 December 2016, up from the previous high of 2,618,350 contracts on 25 September 2015.
Statistics from the London Metal Exchange (LME), a subsidiary of HKEX, are also available in the market statistics published today. Total LME volume of 156.5 million lots (equivalent to US$10.3 trillion and 3.5 billion tonnes of material) was recorded in 2016, down 7.7 per cent from 2015.
For more details, please visit the HKEX and LME websites.
* HKEX and Bloomberg data
# Turnover from January to November 2016 (latest available figures)
** World Federation of Exchanges data
## The record high is now 46,711 contracts on 4 January 2017
$: Hong Kong dollars
US$/USD: US dollars
CNH: Offshore Renminbi
New listings include transfers from Growth Enterprise Market (GEM) to Main Board
IPO: Initial public offering
Securities market: Products traded on Main Board and GEM
Derivatives market: Futures and options traded at HKEX
Commodities market: Commodities traded at London Metal Exchange
Some figures have been rounded