The established Corporate Governance Structure (diagram
) of HKEX, comprising the following parties, provides a comprehensive framework to (i) enhance accountability to shareholders and other stakeholders, (ii) ensure timely and accurate disclosures of all material matters, (iii) deal fairly with shareholders and other stakeholder interests, and (iv) maintain high standards of business ethics and integrity. It is specifically designed to enable HKEX to discharge its statutory duty
of ensuring an orderly, informed and fair market and of ensuring risks are managed prudently, while pursuing its business objectives, which helps reinforce Hong Kong’s position as an international financial centre.
- Board of Directors – is responsible for providing entrepreneurial leadership, either directly or through its committees, to HKEX and its subsidiaries (Group) in order to deliver long-term value to shareholders and other stakeholders. It also leads and supervises the Group’s management to act in the interest of the public as well as its shareholders, but in case of conflict, the former shall prevail. It establishes corporate policies, sets strategic direction, ensures that an effective internal control environment is in place, and oversees the management which is responsible for day-to-day operations. The Board however recognises that delegating its functions and authorities to its committees and the management does not absolve its overall responsibility for the sound governance of HKEX.
- 10 Board Committees – assist the Board in focusing on specific matters, fulfil their roles and responsibilities delegated by the Board, report to the Board on decisions and actions taken, monitor the management’s performance, and make any necessary recommendations.
- Company Secretary – is responsible for facilitating the Board process, as well as communications among Board members, with our shareholders and the management, and advising the Board and its committees on all governance and CSR matters.
- 3 Consultative Panels – act as the advisory bodies to the Board and the management to provide market expertise and advice relating to the Cash Market, Derivatives Market and clearing business of HKEX respectively.
- Management Committee – has delegated authority from the Board for performing the day-to-day management functions of the business and implementing all projects and initiatives as approved by the Board and the Executive Committee.
- External auditor and Internal Audit Department – provide assurance on financial reporting and/or internal controls to ensure accountability and audit quality.
- Shareholders – elect their representatives as directors of HKEX (Directors) at general meetings to oversee the Group’s business.
- Other stakeholders – interact with the Group on daily operations. They include institutional investors, market regulators, government bodies, listed/potential issuers and market intermediaries, Exchange/Clearing Participants/Members, Information Vendors and market participants, Mainland exchanges, overseas exchanges, investing public, media and analysts, non-governmental organisations, industry associations, professional bodies and market users, suppliers/business partners and employees.